Sun, 12 March 2006
Again, thanks to Rock Star Cindy for doing these excellent show notes.
Questions or comments firstname.lastname@example.org or call the voicemail line at 1-206-965-8185, or Skype to Skype - search for the "CoffeeGeek" username.
Take your pick on how to listen:
RSS Feed link for subscribing, or
CG Podcast 033 MP3 File for straight downloading.
12.7mb, 37:39 mm:ss. 48 kbps bitrate, 44.1Hz sample rate, mono channel. MP3 file.
Also, please subscribe and leave comments in Apple iTunes (updated!) direct link.
Newbie Show: Today’s guests, Beata Siwinski and Julie! (1:52)
Beata and Julie ask Mark their coffee questions:
When did people first start drinking coffee? (3:29)
- A brief history of coffee: Mark describes the discovery of coffee and the rise of coffee’s popularity throughout Arabia and Western Europe (3:50)
- A very brief history of espresso: Mark describes the development of modern espresso and the first spring-loaded piston espresso machine in 1947 by Achilles Gaggia (9:08)
When were cappuccinos and lattes first created? (12:13)
- History of the cappuccino: Mark traces the creation of the cappuccino from the French café au lait in the mid-1800s to the development of the steam wand in 1910. Some discussion about Caffe Reggio (NYC)'s claim to inventing the drink.
The Coffee Scene in Italy
- Espresso, cappuccino, lattes and cafe correcto: Julie’s coffee experiences in Italy (14:29)
- The Italian café scene: not so many laptops (16:31)
- Features that Mark, Julie and Beata would like to see in local cafes (18:11)
Why are some coffees stronger than others? Should you add salt to get rid of bitterness in coffee? (27:01)
- Different tastes reflect differences in coffees and differences in roasts
Will there be more newbie podcasts (perhaps about the importance of proper grind)? (31:30)