Thu, 21 September 2006
Questions or comments email@example.com or call the voicemail line at 1-206-965-8185, or Skype to Skype - search for the CoffeeGeek username.
Take your pick on how to listen:
RSS Feed link for subscribing, or
CG Podcast 046 MP3 File for straight downloading.
Apple iTunes direct link.
Intro - Tom’s Diner, Suzanne Vega (0:06)
If you’re in town this weekend, be sure to visit the Canadian Coffee and Tea Expo and Canadian National Barista Competition, September 24 – 25. (1:25)
Tom Owen, Sweet Maria’s (3:08)
Tom is profiled in the September/October issue of Imbibe Magazine.
- Sweet Maria’s web site: unpretentious and all about what’s in the cup, where thousands of home roasters got their start (3:23)
- Exotic coffees: the story of St. Helena coffee, the perception of coffee as culinary, and the growing demand for specialty coffee (5:50)
- Sweet Maria’s purchase of Best of Panama 2006 coffees, including the Hacienda la Esmeralda Gesha at the record-breaking price of $50.25/lb (12:56)
- Sweet Maria’s home roaster mailing list and the development of coffee communities (18:21)
- Coming soon to Sweet Maria’s: Late harvest Esmeralda Gesha to be offered at about $16/lb and a fantastic dry processed Yirgacheffe Idido Misty Valley (28:22)
- Intelligentsia and Tres Santos microlots, Sweet Maria’s tiered pricing, and development of direct relationships by small roasters (32:40)
- Be sure to read the September/October issue of Imbibe Magazine to find out why the web site is called Sweet Maria’s (37:56)
Karen Foley, publisher of Imbibe Magazine (43:39)
- The Tom Owen profile (44:34)
- Imbibe’s coverage of coffee and readers' response to Mark’s article on french press coffee (48:00)
- Mark’s espresso article in the September/October issue and a contest for future articles (see entry rules below) (51:49)
- Coming up in the next issue: holiday drinks and gift guides; an article on Prague; coffee origins by Richard Reynolds (1:01:11)
- The response to the magazine from the coffee communities and other beverage-related communities (1:03:03)
- Comment on Imbibe at their new blog or order a subscription through their web site (1:08:14)
Write in an original idea for an article you would like to see Mark write for Imbibe Magazine. One idea per email, but make them good - think feature article type ideas. Espresso's been done. ;) Send in your mailing address with the idea, we'll randomly pick three winners - one gets a year subscription to imbibe, the other two will get the first issue mailed to them (and signed if they want). Send to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the title "Imbibe magazine idea" in your subject line. Deadline is September 30, 2006.
Mystery Guest Interview! (1:12:26)
- Cafés and coffeehouses in the ‘50s and ‘60s (1:13:45)
- Milk (1:19:25)
- Mark’s secret shame exposed: Maxwell House instant, pre-ground Folger’s, and blade grinders (1:23:23)
- “If I want blueberries in my coffee, I’ll put blueberries in my coffee!? (1:32:22)
- The 20 oz cup (1:33:56)
Outro – Tom’s Diner, Michigan and Smiley (1:46:02)